Sunday, June 21, 2009

Homestay

One of the great things about People to People is that we get to do a Homestay with a family in our host country. So I have spent the last three days with Marika, Anumo and Moe, and I am having a blast.

Anumo is 5 and he is all boy. He and Teddy would be best friends. He likes video games and anime, chocolate and having all of my attention. Just like home. ;)

Yesterday we hiked a mountain, had a party with my students and their families in this area, and ate some serious sushi. There is no sushi at home like this sushi, trust me. This was some gggoooodddd food. Never thought I'd say that about sushi, but isn't that the point of these programs?? Finished off dinner with some Baskin Robbins. Nice.

Today we planted rice. In the rain and mud, with about 30 other people. It's a fascinating process - they run a rope across the field with small red ribbons every foot or so. You plant two or three rows according to those ribbons, then they move it back a foot or so and you do it again. The process is repeated until the entire field is planted.

The trick is, you're doing all this in 8 inches of mud. It was raining when we started, but it had stopped by the time by finished. I think it'll take me a few months to get all the mud out from under my fingernails.

After we cleaned up, we ate lunch at the Children's Association with everyone who had helped.

I'm blown away by how intentional everything is in this society. Planting that field this morning was almost ceremonial. All kinds of folks turned out in the rain to help, and I suspect they do it every year.

The home is a refuge, a temple for these people. Everything is very CLEAN. You take your shoes off when you come in the door; the entry is about 6 inches lower than the floor, so that the dirt from the shoes doesn't get into the rest of the house. It is truly amazing the difference that makes. The house is not dirty. Oh, they have stuff, but it's clean!!

Well, my host's battery appears to be dying...Please comment if you've been here. I can hear crickets chirping through the silence...;)

2 comments:

  1. I've been to several of the places that are on your trip. However, I've never stayed with anyone there. That's a wonderful experience! I've visited homes in Venezuela, Australia, England and Brazil and it gives you a totally different view of their country than you see in the news media or travelogs...but that's why they call it "People to People". Miss you Nancy...can't wait to see your pictures. Love you - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. No crickets here! I'm loving it... keep it up!

    <3
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete