Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I cannot believe I am in JAPAN!!!

Konichiwa!!

SO after a 3 and a half hour flight to San Fran, a 3 hour layover and a 13 hour flight to Osaka, WE ARE HERE!!!!

After a decent night's sleep (where the sun rose at like 2 a.m. - Land of the Rising Sun indeed!!), we began our morning with a visit to a castle, built in the feudal age by a Shogun. This is the castle with the "singing floors." When you walk on them, they make a squeaking sound; this was intended as an alarm system - it would alert the residents to anyone trying to sneak in. Genius.

One of the most amazing parts of the castle was the artwork; wood carvings that are so intricate you wonder how one person could construct such a thing in one lifetime; elaborate paintings of landscapes, animals and people; and fascinating architecture. Our guide was wonderful - a wealth of history.

From there it was on to the Kyoto Handcrafts Market. Heaven on earth!!! Woodblock paintings, kimonos, toys, Samurai swords, and I finally discovered where my dolls came from, Dad!!! The most beautiful porcelain dolls!!! Suffice it to say, we shopped.

We spent our afternoon celebrating some of the traditional Japanese arts - a Tea Ceremony, and Calligraphy.

Somehow, and I'm still not sure how, I was elected the "special guest" of the day. This is the guest at the Tea Ceremony who does everything first. No pressure, eh?? We were taught how to "purify" ourselves to be ready, how to enter the room, how to prepare for the "sweets," how to prepare for the tea, and how to leave the ceremony.

The Japanese are a very intentional people; everything has a purpose and is done on purpose. Every move, every word is significant. The Tea Ceremony is one representation of this - everything was so scripted and significant.

Calligraphy is fascinating. It's writing, but it's an artform unto itself. There are 8 basic brushstrokes - all the characters are created from those. I loved working with the inkstone and brushes. I might have to invest in some when I get home!!

Dinner was A-MA-ZING. Beef, chicken and pork cooked over an open flame, but not like any grilling I've ever done. The meat was so flavorful and tender!! Yum-o!!!

Dinner itself was a cultural experience - sitting on the floor around the tables, taking turns cooking the meat, and generally enjoying one another's company.

I am so blessed to get to do what I do!! I have an amazing group of students, and I'm in a truly amazing place. I feel like I use the word "amazing" a lot, but I really am amazed at what I am able to see and do.

Well, it's off to bed now. Tomorrow is our visit to Hiroshima. I anticipate an emotional day, and one we will never forget. Look for pictures - once again, I have to conquer the technology. :)

Sayonara!!!

PS - Coming soon - the TOILETS!!!

2 comments:

  1. ooh ahhh! sounds like everything IS amazing! so excited for you and so glad that you're sharing your days in the land of the rising sun with those of us stuck here in the land of the sweltering sun.

    can't wait for toilets...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your site just found; will keep. Looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete